Butler Machinery Company
Butler Machinery Company is a third generation family owned Caterpillar Dealer for North and South Dakota areas. Butler has been serving both the Agriculture and Construction industries for over 50 years.
Butler Machinery Company started in 1955 when Francis J. Butler, a former Grand Forks, ND contractor, was selected to be a Caterpillar Dealer. As a contractor, Francis knew the necessity for the dealership to provide the best in equipment and the best product support. Francis’ vision required capable, well-trained management and associates together with the most advanced tools, technology and facilities available. Three generations of the Butler family have maintained this vision. Matt Butler served as CEO from 1969 to 1998. Dan Butler has served as president since 1998.
Francis began with very modest stores in Grand Forks and Fargo, providing service in eastern North Dakota and Clay County, Minnesota. A facility at Main Street in Fargo was built in 1957 and replaced with the current building on I-29 in 1986.
In 1964, Butler expanded into western North Dakota with the purchase of Schultz Machinery Co. and its stores in Minot and Bismarck. The current Bismarck building was completed in 1976 and the Minot building in 1978.
In December of 1988, Butler acquired the assets of Kearns Machinery Co. in Sioux Falls, Rapid City and Aberdeen. The company now serves customers throughout South Dakota.
In March of 1999, a new store was opened in Jamestown, ND. BMC has committed to providing the best possible sales and service not only in heavy equipment, but also in agricultural equipment. The Jamestown store is a major hub for Ag activity.
BMC opened a new training facility and corporate headquarters in Fargo in January 2000. The vision of providing the best possible training for our associates is evident in the training classrooms, curriculum and state of the art training equipment. During the Fall of 2003, the Aberdeen Store addition and renovation was also completed.
In May of 2005, a new store was opened in Pierre, SD. The emphasis of the Pierre store is on Ag equipment and product support for Ag customers. There are now nine total BMC locations to further assist our customers.
Combined, Butler facilities have over 415,000 sq. ft. of space to house over 585 associates and serve our customers. Butler Machinery has embraced growth and change from it’s beginning days in 1955 through today. From Caterpillar machines used in construction, to Ag Equipment, to dependable Cat Diesel Power providing emergency standby power generation, BMC is a strong partner in providing sales, parts and service to the Dakotas and Western Minnesota area.