Headquartered in Charlotte, NC, CTE is a privately-owned group, with subsidiaries delivering equipment, services, and overall productivity solutions across the Southeast. CTE has over 1,500 employees generating sales of more than $800 million at 27 locations in North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee.
CTE, a leader in its markets, is focused on providing equipment for construction, material handling, power generation, and crane as well as all the related after-market service, technology, and engineering expertise required to optimize asset and business productivity.
BlueSkye Automation is a division of CTE which partners closely with our LiftOne division to provide consulting, design, and implementation services to help optimize our customers distribution, fulfillment, and manufacturing operations and maximize facility efficiency. BlueSkye automation solutions include warehouse software, ASRS / mini load, racking, pick modules, conveyor / sortation systems, mixed case palletizers, order fulfillment technologies, and autonomous mobile robotics.
The General Manager - BlueSkye will be accountable for all aspects of business strategy and performance. This leader will directly manage all business line leaders and be accountable for developing and executing strategic and operating plans to drive growth, earnings and cash flow. While there is a high degree of independence, it is critical that this leader be an integrated member of the CTE team and align and adjust business strategies and priorities to fit with the goals of the overall enterprise.
Specific duties will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Lead the creation and implementation of BlueSkye strategy, including growth through acquisition. Define the vision, strategy, and priorities for areas of the business that facilitate achievement of growth, profitability, and market share objectives.
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management to the operating division. Develop and implement adequate measures to meet the operational needs of the company, efficiently utilize its resources, and maintain an effective system of operational processes and outcome measurement. Use data analytics, reporting tools, and KPIs to maximize company performance and identify potential deficiencies.
- Develop strong working relationships with the CEO and CTE senior leadership team (SLT). Develop relationships with peer managers and direct reports while aligning to the company’s culture. Connect with the culture of CTE and continue to build it out.
- Provide regular communications and updates on strategy and results to the CEO, President of the LiftOne business, and the Senior Leadership Team
- Motivate, lead, and retain a high-performance management team. Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within the division. Define key business drivers and metrics, provide necessary resources to track them.
- Recruit and onboard sales, sales support, engineering, and project management resources to meet growth objectives.
- Monitor new products or service trends in the industry, as well as customer industries, to ensure maintaining a competitive position in product offerings as well as customer needs and requirements.
- Develop the relationships, trust, and leadership credibility to be viewed internally and externally as a central figure in the leadership of the business.
- Achieve or exceed budgeted financial and metric performance in the areas of profit before tax, market share growth, customer satisfaction, employee engagement, and safety.
- Champion technology initiatives and design/implement new models to increase efficiency in the delivery of services.
- Develop the supply strategy, vendor relationships, and supporting agreements to deliver the targeted revenue growth and increase the size and sophistication of projects and capabilities over time
- Build and manage relationships with OEMs and other large vendors.
- Formalize processes and build systems maturity to ensure successful project execution and maintain customer satisfaction. Partner with Business Technology teams to integrate project management and sales tools.
- Develop and execute strategies to grow the core integration business with high value, complementary lines of business including aftermarket services and consulting.
- Lead acquisition and integration activities in support of strategic growth imperatives.
- Develop and administer annual operating budgets to ensure effective and efficient utilization of all resources.
- Effectively champion continuous improvement, including in the areas of safety, cost, quality, service, and customer satisfaction levels. Align and optimize all elements of the business to fully benefit from the best opportunities during the current upcycle while preparing the business to thrive in the inevitable ups and downs to come.
- Define and communicate resource needs from central support functions and promote BlueSkye capabilities within CTE and LiftOne.
- Represent the company at various community, industry, and/or business meetings to promote the company; promote positive relationships with partners, vendors, and distributors.
- Experience scaling small or medium size businesses
- Credibility, gravitas, and relevant experience to work with other executives and private boards
- Relevant consulting and/or software experience
- Talent selection and development; ability to assemble a diverse team comprising industry native leaders, disciplined operators, consultants, and technologists
- Collaborative; ability to bring together diverse teams to create seamless customer experiences
- Integrity; commitment to the highest ethical standards.
- Customer driven; results-orientation focused on customer satisfaction.
- Passion for the business; enjoys, and thrives on, working with customers.
- Accountability; competitive, yet collaborative; likes to win; accountable for results.
- Adaptability; ability to think creatively and analytically; not afraid to think outside the box yet possesses good general problem-solving skills and solid analytical skills.
- Experience in businesses delivering equipment and specialized services, preferably related to distribution, fulfillment, and manufacturing operations is preferred.
- Existing customer, OEM, and/or industry relationships are preferred.
- Prior roles that featured management of multiple brands, channels, products, and services, and experience managing field operations involving all aspects of engineered systems is preferred.
- Broad understanding of the emerging trends and opportunities in the distribution, fulfillment, and manufacturing fields and associated industries.
- Strategic; contributes to development of an organizational strategy and justifies it with market insight. Thinks three to five years ahead into the next business cycle.
- Leadership ability; able to coach and develop people; positive and engaged.
- Strong executive presence with humility.
- Employee focused, team oriented, and a good delegator.
- Superior interpersonal skills defined as approachable, genuine, sincere, and honest; able to relate to people at all levels within an organization.
- Direct and open in communications; excellent listener; able to communicate across product, industry, and dealer lines; pushes for resolution, clarity, and accountability.
- Disciplined, organized, and detail oriented; maintains focus on priorities.
- Business savvy and financial acumen; proven track record leading, operating, and growing businesses in a top leadership role with direct profit and loss accountability.
Education and/or Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, marketing or engineering is required with an industrial engineering focus preferred.
- Master’s degree in business administration, finance, marketing or engineering is preferred.
- Industry or related experience of more than 10 years is required.
- Prior managerial experience and responsibility for a P&L is required.
- This position requires an aggressive, entrepreneurial, personable, and sales-oriented individual with a positive attitude. In addition, they must be self-motivated, well organized and possess a high degree of maturity and sound business sense.
- This position requires a strong business acumen as it will be responsible for the financial results as well as the sales growth.