The Sr. Program Manager is a member of the Enterprise Project Management Office (PMO), reporting directly to the PMO Director. This position leads the planning and execution of strategic, large, complex programs to deliver measured results for the company. This is a highly influential role that interfaces directly with all levels of management. As a member of the PMO, the Sr. Program Manager will directly contribute to the creation, further development, and adherence of a defined enterprise project management body of knowledge.
Specifically, this role will lead a lean transformation program for the material handling business unit at CTE. Grounded in financial and process goals the program should introduce a lean culture shift into the service side of the business while yielding positive financial returns and process improvements. Applicants applying should have led similar large scale transformation efforts in their careers to be considered. Responsibilities include championing strategic project delivery by leading a team of individuals through the project lifecycle, including:
- Initiation: The development of project charters and business cases for review and approval by Executive Sponsors and the Project Review Committee (PRC).
- Team Leadership: Leads project teams, vendors, and contractors in the completion of program / project related tasks.
- Schedule & Task Mgmt.: Documents and leads the team through analysis, requirements, design, testing, deployment, and change management activities to meet project objectives.
- Budget Mgmt.: Works with IT and Business Leads to set the project budget based on scope of work; executes vendor contracts; tracks actuals and forecasted spend.
- Scope: Ensures scope is managed and changes follow the PMO change mgmt. protocols.
- Quality: Ensure that what the project delivers satisfies the agreed upon scope / requirements.
- Risk & Issue Mgmt.: Proactively identify and resolve problems; manage issue/risk processes.
- Communications: Establish comms plans and ensure all stakeholder are informed /engaged.
- Deliverables: Facilitates the creation and maintenance of all project documentation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Program & Project Management Specific:
- Serve as PMO champion, providing project management direct services and mentorship to supported lines of business.
- Owns delivering projects on-time, on-budget, and with quality, within established thresholds.
- Assist divisions in defining supporting projects to achieve strategic objectives. This role participates directly in annual division strategy sessions and is expected to understand the business deeply.
- Facilitates the project definition and approval process through the PRC:
- Process owner for new project requests on behalf of line of business/division; relates impact to other PMO managed activities; and clearly identifies risk.
- Expert communicator that can consistently articulate project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion at all levels of the organization. Able to tailor messages according to audience.
- Able to successfully delegate tasks and responsibilities while influencing team members to take positive action and accountability for their work.
- Where required, negotiates with other department managers for the acquisition of required personnel from within the company.
- Build, develop, and grow any business relationships vital to the success of the project.
- Conduct project postmortems. Create recommendations to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements to support continual improvement.
- Ensures benefits and returns (ROI) are measured by FP&A and reported through the Project Review Committee at agreed upon intervals.
- Aligns with division CI Manager to ensure continuous improvement initiatives are not repetitive in nature with the divisions approved projects.
Project Management Office Specific:
- As a senior project management professional, documents and proliferates PMO policies, standards, processes, procedures, and templates.
- Assists in the continual improvement of project delivery methodologies and procedures through self-reflection, project team retrospectives, and planned cycles of review.
- Champions project management disciplines and standard PMO practices with CTE leadership and senior management, helping to shape the broader culture of the company.
- Mentors and trains project management discipline to division resources serving the project manager role for projects not staffed by the PMO.
- Proactively shares project management best practices with other projects managers in the PMO.
- Supports existing Project Portfolio Management (PPM) tool and PMO routines to update data.
- Compiles PMO metrics as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Position Requirements / Experience:
- Required: Applicant should have 10+ years’ experience in terms of Business and Technology Project Management leading large to mega projects as the assigned Program Leader accountable for success.
- Preferred: Applicant would have 15+ years of experience executing successful large, complex programs and projects.
- Applicant should show experience running multiple projects and programs simultaneously to successful completion.
- Requires 7+ years in a client or stakeholder facing role, with strong communication skills.
- Experience with setting up newly formed Project Management Offices is preferred.
- Applicant should have demonstrated strong experience with Lean, PMI, 6s and Agile methodologies
- Proven ability to drive projects from concept through completion with minimal guidance.
- Strong demonstrated experience working with continuous improvement specialists to deliver optimization projects.
- Preferred experience with construction or heavy equipment industry including service, parts, sales, and rental.
- Growth mindset with the desire to work in a collaborative environment to promote and drive team performance.
- High level of motivation, self-starter, excellent at follow-up, team-player with ability to deliver within defined timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in a fast-paced, dynamic and high growth technology environment.
- Accountable: Does what they say. Honors commitments. Takes action. Follows through.
- Detail Oriented: Gets the details right in all work products and communications.
- Positive & Engaged: Brings a positive attitude to work. Understands that employees succeed together.
- Principled: Does the right thing. Remains honest and provides constructive feedback.
- Adaptable: Improve always. Seeks to continuously improve the business, the team, and themselves.
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATIONS / SKILLS:
- Individuals applying for this position should have a minimum bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in Project Management, General Business, Management, or similar studies.
- Preferred: Degree in Business Administration or Information Technology.
Certifications / Licenses / Registrations:
Preferred for candidate to have one or more of the following certifications:
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills (PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, etc.).
- Expert in Microsoft Excel (deep knowledge of formulas and data analysis).
- Intermediate skills with team productivity tools (SharePoint, Smartsheet, etc.).
- Strong communication skills (written, verbal, presentation).
- Able to communicate understanding and empathy when dealing with internal customers.