POSITION SUMMARY: The purpose of the Shop Helper is to contribute to the overall efficiency of the shop by completing semi-skilled and unskilled tasks, enabling Journeyman Technicians to dedicate their time to tasks requiring highly-skilled and technical expertise.
PRINCIPAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Assist Journeyman Technicians with skilled and/or technical jobs in the shop when a Journeyman is assigned to the job.
- Perform preventative maintenance and scheduled service on equipment, attachments, and components. May perform up to 500 hour interval PM services and associated tasks independently.
- Removal and installation of parts requiring use of hand and air operated tools only, excluding parts that require fine tuning for proper system operation.
- On a previously blocked-up machine, removal of undercarriage parts limited to the following: carrier rollers, and sprocket segments.
- Minor painting (not to include professional spray equipment) and heating associated with repair work.
- Conduct preliminary diagnosis of machinery, component, and system problems (Helpers may not use diagnostic equipment).
- Installation and replacement of minor electrical components, alternators, ECM's excluding electric motors.
- Complete service reports as required
- Locate and use service literature and/or technical information as required
- Maintenance and repair of shop equipment and tools.
- Load/unload components, parts, equipment and machinery.
- Conduct machine inventories.
- Conduct storage tank and shop supplies and tool inventories.
- Maintain tanks and settling pits.
- Transport or deliver components and equipment as directed.
- Clean, pressure wash, or otherwise prepare equipment, mechanical parts and components.
- Maintain wash bays and associated equipment.
- Perform general shop and facilities clean-up as required.
- Successfully complete and pass all Service Training and employee development classes
- Conduct repairs according to Caterpillar published guidelines and recommendations
- Complete tasks in a timely manner as required by management
- Use safe working practices and required personal protective equipment at all times
- Maintain clean and organized work areas
- Complete all paperwork, data entry and reporting as required
- Perform other duties as assigned by management
- Adhere to guidance and directions given by supervisors
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures
- Regular and predictable attendance is required
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This position requires no supervision of staff.
- Two years experience with hands-on mechanical repair work on diesel or gasoline engines, hydraulic systems, or earthmoving or industrial equipment, OR related certification from an accredited technical school, community college or training program.
- A successful candidate will be required to provide their own tools including but not limited to ¾ inch drive ratchet & socket sets, box wrench set up to1 ½ inch, ½ inch torque set, ½ inch drive impact tools and additional hand tools. A complete tool list will be provided to candidates during the interview process.
- Good computer skills with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of DBSi a plus
- Physical Requirements: Ability to lift 100 lbs, ability to push/pull with 60lbs of force, ability to lift and work overhead, ability to stand/walk continuously for long periods of time and ability to squat, kneel and bend repetitively.
- Experience in hands-on mechanical repair work with diesel or gasoline engines, hydraulic systems, or earthmoving or industrial equipment.
- Ability to read and comprehend regulations, instructions, and technical information.
- Good oral communication skills.
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- Reliably follows verbal instructions and guidance.
- Completes tasks without supervision.
- Strong desire to meet performance expectations.
- Desire to learn and develop skills.
- Good attitude and a cooperative spirit.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vets
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ENVIORNMENTAL CONDITIONS:
"C" Constantly (6-8 hrs/day), "F" Frequently (3-6 hrs/day), "O" Occasionally (up to 3hrs/day), or "NA" if not applicable.
Up to 25 lbs.
Up to 25 lbs.
Up to 25 lbs.
Over 50 lbs
Over 50 lbs.
Over 50 lbs.
Subject to both inside and outside conditions