Working Hours/Days6:30am – 4:30pm, Monday – Friday, weekends as needed.
The Service Manager is accountable for all aspects of the Service Department and plays a vital role in the overall success of Altorfer Caterpillar in the territory. The Service Manager must possess a deep knowledge of construction equipment maintenance and repair, the skills necessary to ensure efficient shop operations and a continuous improvement mindset.
- The Service Manager is responsible for all Shop Service and support activities associated with the shop at one Altorfer Branch location.
- Exemplify our Corporate Values of Integrity, Customer Focus, Accountability and Teamwork
- Provide leadership and direction as required to achieve the highest levels of safety, customer satisfaction, employee engagement and profitability
- Responsible for the Shop Service P&L
- Conduct daily meetings to coordinate activities, provide guidance, gather information and communicate company strategy
- Manage day-to-day activities of Service Department personnel
- Manage work-flow and scheduling to achieve the highest levels of customer satisfaction and shop efficiency
- Manage service, repair and reconditioning of machines and components
- Manage new and used equipment inspection, service and preparation for the Sales Department
- Manage shop customer communications
- Manage the work order process from opening jobs through job invoicing
- Develop quotes for complex jobs and quote approvals when applicable
- Consistently enforce work rules and company policies
- Effectively manage all Work In Progress (WIP)
- Conduct semi-annual performance reviews for all direct reports
- Ensure operations conform to industry and company performance metrics and benchmarks
- Occasionally participate in sales calls with Sales Reps.
- 2-4 year college degree or 10 years of Caterpillar Heavy Equipment repair experience. Previous supervisory experience helpful.
- Working knowledge of a P&L and financial statements
- Ability to understand, interpret and leverage performance metrics related to efficiency, productivity, profitability, safety, market share, resource deployment and general operations.
- Exceptional communication, management, leadership and interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of OSHA and EPA regulations as they relate to the industry
- Ability to carry on effective communication with customers to maintain a high level of customer loyalty
- Basic knowledge of diesel engine, hydraulic, electrical, and undercarriage systems.
- Must have the ability to express ideas and influence others in a positive manner to accomplish long term goals.
- Ability to write professional business communication by email or letter is required.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and willing to work some Saturdays when needed.
- PC experience with programs such as Microsoft, Excel, Word, and Outlook is required.
- Must have a High School Diploma or equivalent
- Must have a valid driver's license with clean driving record. This includes no more than 2 minor violations within the past 3 years and no major violations within the past 5 years (Motor Vehicle Report will be performed on final candidate).
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
This position works in an office environment and in the service shop. May, on a continuous basis, sit at a desk for a long period of time; answer telephone calls and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means. May on a continuous basis be on the shop floor supporting service operations. Noise level in the shop environment is usually moderate, and the noise level in the office environment is usually low. Must be flexible to work varying schedules and hours as needed. Occasional local travel may be required. The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Altorfer is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals- including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.