Working Hours/DaysMonday - Friday; 6:30am - 3pm
The Project Engineer will be responsible for working with Product Support to provide mission critical support for large projects & work scope related to service department jobs/needs. This position will serve as a liaison between the service department, field technicians and the customer. Will also be responsible to provide project coordination and technical support to service department staff. The focus of this position will be navigating large projects undertaken by the service department and bringing them to a successful close.
The Project Engineer will also serve as a secondary/backup to the Technical Communicator, who is responsible for product issues, troubleshooting direction, warranty determination and technical support for the department.
- Perform site walkdowns and create an executable plan for completing service.
- Determine site requirements.
- Attend customer site meetings pertaining to upcoming projects.
- Create or complete MOP/SOW/RA and other site required documents.
- Coordinate job procedures and processes, to include rigging and accessibility options.
- Coordinate scheduling between customer and service department for projects.
- Brief/Debrief service operations team regarding ongoing projects.
- Keep customer and service team informed of jobsite and progress.
- Provide on-site training on Caterpillar systems usage, service tooling, and service software usage.
- Review potential job plans and provide professional advice.
- Assist sales team with site quotes.
- Provide technical product support for all Power Systems products to Altorfer technicians, management, service supervisors, sales staff, OEM personnel and customers to ensure timely troubleshooting.
- Identify and reports product problems to Caterpillar and other vendors through established channels. Works with Caterpillar's product analysts to accurately and quickly resolve the problem.
- Maintains territory specific product knowledge and problem resolution information for the products installed in Altorfer's assigned territory.
- Utilize Caterpillar's Infocast / PowerNet, Technical Marketing Information (TMI web), Dealer Solution Network (DSN), Service Information Management Sys (SIMSi) and Service Information System (SIS web), as safe sources of information for the commercial engine business.
- Advise the Service Manager of training and tooling needed for service technicians.
- Reports technician performance to assist in accurate performance reviews.
- Maintain a self-improvement training program and remain current on all commercial engine technical information.
- Work with Technical Communicator to support technical operations.
- Assist with performing installation Audits, Failure Analysis, research documentation, keeps tooling in order and calibrated.
- Maintains secondary safety responsibilities.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Bachelor of Science Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering degree; or a high school graduate with at least ten years' practical engineering/technical work experience.
- Understand the parts and service requirements of Caterpillar Electric Power Generation and Industrial engine products.
- Electrical products knowledge and ability to read schematics/diagrams required. Knowledge of paralleling controls switchgear and automatic transfer switches is a plus.
- Understand the commercial engine business and the relationship between Caterpillar, the OEMs and our customers.
- Must be able to address and troubleshoot technical issues and write procedures in a logical manner.
- Effective oral & written communication skills with excellent interpersonal skills are needed.
- Needs to have basic/intermediate keyboarding skills with a basic knowledge of MS Office software (Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Must be a self-starter and possess good time management skills and excellent attention to detail.
- Must have a valid driver's license (Motor Vehicle Report will be performed on file candidate)
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vets
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
This position works in a shop/office environment. May on a continuous basis walk, bend and lift to 75lbs. May, on a continuous basis, sit at a desk for a long period of time; answer telephone calls and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means. May be required to wear appropriate safety equipment (IE- Safety glasses or side shields) when needed. The noise level in the shop environment is usually moderate to high. Noise level in the office environment is usually moderate to low. Must be flexible to work varying schedules and hours as needed. Occasional travel may be required. The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.