The Shop Service Supervisor is responsible for the performance of the shop service department - including operations, productivity, profitability, assets, budgeting and customer relationships.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage safety performance and day-to-day performance of shop employees.
- Manage WIP daily to meet department goals through prioritization of work and appropriate scheduling of resources.
- Manage work orders in process end-to-end: Open WO, Repair Plan development & Quoting, WO Close & Invoicing
- Ensure customers receive daily updates regarding their repairs by serving as the primary point-of-contact
- Provide repair quotes and requotes for repairs and ensure customers invoice is clear and precise and is "as expected" in relation to pricing
- Maintain SQDC (Metrics) board for visual management purposes
- Assist Branch Manager in creating goals and performance standards for department.
- Perform mid-year and annual performance evaluation reviews for shop employees that are assigned to them
This position has supervisory responsibilities with after-hours requirements as applicable
Qualifications & Competencies
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Expert knowledge of key operating systems: DBS, ServiceLink and MDS
- Expert knowledge of critical CAT applications: SIS, ET and Dealer DSN
- Functional knowledge of phone system and ability to manage customers through it
- Functional capability with Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Functional knowledge of CAT products
- Functional knowledge of key machine systems and components in relation to potential repair requirements
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance
instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to develop and maintain healthy relationships with Technicians, Tech Team Leaders and support employees
- Ability to develop and maintain healthy relationships with customers and effectively resolves any service related disputes
- Effectively communicate in various environments and settings through multiple channels
- Create safe, positive work environment for employees.
- Ability to lead and supervise employees/teams to identify and execute on a set of goals while maintaining team cohesion
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations
where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Accountability for department's financial performance and statements with advanced understanding of financial definitions: GP, DE, PAD & PBT
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, proportions, and percentages.
- Understanding of interdepartmental relationships and can lead outcomes across departments
Key Performance Metrics
- Recordable Incident Rate
- Financial Targets: GP%, DE%, PAD% & PBT%
- Technician Productivity
- Rework %
- Quote Accuracy
- Customer Updates %
Education and/or Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent with 2-year Technical degree preferred
- 5+ years direct CAT Service experience or 10 years industry experience in heavy equipment
- 3+ years of management/supervisor experience.
- Acceptable level of safety, rework and productivity in prior roles *Internal Applicants*
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and /or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold; extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is occasionally loud.
Standard Work Requirements
Scheduling & Dispatching (Productivity & Employee Engagement)
Commit and communicate scheduled promise date to the customer through MDS
Check for PIP/PSP's at ticket creation, communicate and schedule with the customer
Quote and contact customer and any change to promise date regarding Additional Repairs
Prioritize repairs for Leadman's scheduling the following day
Job Preparation & Safety (Employee Engagement & Safety)
Open every work order using Standard Jobs when applicable
Review work orders (scope and time quoted) with Lead Tech
Ensure pre-work forms and post-repair quality inspections are being completed
Document any AVRs in the backlog, ensuring that AVRs are quoted and approved
Ensure daily compliance with 6S & Contamination Control checklists
Conduct daily shop safety meetings
Communication (Customer Loyalty)
Communicate any changes in the schedule to customers immediately through MDS
Provide customer daily status updates (backlog, during & after repair completion) through MDS.
Return all messages within 1 hour
Quote all service work to be performed in PSQ, unless previously quoted by the PSSR or verbally approved by customer
Get with Parts Back Order Analyst to make sure parts are expedited
Work in Process Management (Last Labor to Close)
Check and approve time within 24 hours of submission
Ensure service reports are detailed and submitted within 24 hours of job completion
Ensure all parts being used on repairs can be claimed to warranty or have been authorized by the customer for replacement
Ensure parts, warranty parts & cores are returned to parts department within 2 days
Complete warranty checklist before submitting work order to warranty department
Ensure work orders are closed upon completion with a LLC target of 5 days or less
Approve Tech Time daily
Quality Control (Customer Satisfaction, Technician Productivity, Profitability)
Review SQDC boards with Lead Tech, ensure being updated and anomalies are handled
Review financials to ensure all major issues have been captured and dealt with on the SQDC boards.
Attend rework root cause review with Lead Tech