POSITION SUMMARY: Oversee troubleshooting, repair, maintenance and/or rebuilding of equipment in the service shop or field, ensure a safe, efficient, productive environment that promotes positive flat rate variance with concentration to lower policy/rework to increase overall customer satisfaction. Assist with estimating work orders and prepare written quotes for submission to the Production Lead Person and/or Service Communicators.
- Guide/supervise technicians in the repair of machinery equipment pertaining to priority jobs and better written service reports.
- Coordinate all mechanical, hydraulic, air and electrical repairs associated with Caterpillar products.
- Assist production lead and operations manager in the performance of his duties when required.
- Perform minor engineering improvements, modifications and retrofit in order to conform to customer specifications and operational requirements.
- Analyze all Caterpillar and allied product equipment systems and components for proper operation in arrangement applications based on theory of design.
- Perform new and used equipment start-up for delivery to end-user.
- Conduct customer training in proper use of Caterpillar equipment. (Billable hours?)
- Perform Caterpillar updates as directed by Caterpillar, Inc.
- Troubleshoot all Caterpillar and allied product systems.
- Use all test and diagnostic equipment available to make adjustments to machines and systems.
- Make warranty recommendations and reports in representation of a prime product.
- Perform minor welding, fabrication, plumbing alignment and D.C. electric repairs.
- Disassemble, clean and reassemble all Caterpillar and allied product machines.
- Follow specifications and procedures in service manuals and select the designated tools.
- Measure and identify new parts and components for reusability or replacement, ordering new parts as required.
- Perform all requirements found in any Caterpillar Lubrication and Maintenance guide.
- Adhere to all good housekeeping and safety measures and procedures.
- Ensure service reports are completed in a timely manner to align the shop process with operations requirements regarding LDL (Last Date of Labor). After receiving initial repair requests, Leads are to fill out magnets to place on the machine/equipment being repaired. Assign jobs in a manner to ensure productivity % are met in the department.
- Work with minimal supervision.
- Contamination Control (Cleanliness)
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Prefer to have one of the following
- Eight (8) years experience in the repair of Caterpillar products.
- Successful completion of Level Two/Three Technician Program.
- Expertise in all phases of Caterpillar service operation.
- Understanding of all Caterpillar product line.
- Expert working knowledge of hydraulics and power trains.
- Expert working knowledge in the repairs of electrical and electronic systems.
- Must have valid Driver’s License with a good record.
- Shop Requirements: Valid California Class “C” driver’s license.
- Field Requirements: Valid California Class “B” driver’s license, if assigned vehicle is required.
- Furnish all hand tools required to repair, test and diagnose hydraulic, air, power train, electrical and electronic systems on Caterpillar equipment.
- NOTE: Some high dollar value tooling is supplied by Hawthorne.
TESTING REQUIREMENTS: Applicants may be required to pass a written and/or oral examination before being considered for employment in this position.
- Walking and moving about on foot up or downstairs and often through uneven terrain.
- Hands/arms operating equipment, hand and power tools.
- Lifting: Up to 50 lbs. daily, frequent exertion. Raises or lowers miscellaneous equipment parts and tools.
- Handling: Seizes helps or works with hands.
- Reaching: Extends hands and arms in any direction.
- Standing: Remains in standing position if required for certain repair or maintenance work.
- Climbing: In and out of equipment.
- Vision: Read work tickets, parts and service books and operate heavy equipment.
- Talking: Communications by radio, phone, and in person in English.
- Sitting: Sits in equipment and in vehicles.
- Stooping: Bends body downward and forward by bending at knees or waist.
- Hearing: Hears well enough to discern mechanical problems for safety in and around shop and construction sites and to receive communication by radio, phone and in person.
- Laying: Lies in prone position under vehicles and equipment.
PHYSICAL STRENGTH: Lifting: Up to 50 lbs. daily, frequent exertion.
- Noise: Works in conditions with constant or intermittent noise.
- Temperatures/Weather: Works in a warehouse and outside with variations of temperature and weather.
- Exposure: Foul odors, fumes and harsh substances.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Reasonable accommodations for essential functions of the position will be considered.