POSITION SUMMARY: As a Field Service Technician, you are responsible for providing high quality repairs on Caterpillar and allied equipment in the field and shop. You will need to diagnose and troubleshoot engines, powertrains, electrical, and hydraulic systems; experience with cat diagnostic equipment, Cat repair tooling, rigging, and blocking equipment is essential. Due to multiple projects you will be assigned, this position requires planning and organization skills with a particular emphasis on controlling job costs. You will need to investigate, analyze, and identify the problem in order to make recommendations that eliminate the issue. Our technicians work with a variety of people, communication skills that include strong interpersonal skills, effective writing, basic computer skills, and ability to respond to the customer in a positive, caring, and timely manner is required.
- Accurately / efficiently analyze and diagnose equipment malfunctions.
- Remove and install parts, disassemble and assemble components, and test and adjust assemblies with minimal supervision
- Perform Caterpillar updates as directed by Caterpillar, Inc.
- Analyze all Caterpillar and allied product equipment systems and components for proper operation in arrangement application based on theory of design.
- Organize a job in a logical and economical sequence.
- Conduct customer training in proper use of Caterpillar equipment.
- Complete assigned jobs to meet flat rate times with minimal to no rework.
- Write service reports that accurately document diagnosis and repairs performed.
- Adheres to all company policies
- Follow contamination control and OSHA/MSHA rules and regulations.
- Guides/mentors/trains technicians with less expertise in the repairs of Caterpillar machines and systems.
- Performs other duties as directed by lead person or service manager.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- General knowledge of basic hand tools, air tools, precision measuring tools and instruments, laptops, diagnostic software and cranes and rigging equipment.
- This position requires the ability to provide accurate information to lead/supervisor for quoting.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Will be certified prior to operating a forklift and a crane qualification test performed.
- Proven ability to work safely with a crane.
- Ability to work unsupervised efficiently, and be part of a team environment.
- Performs the position with pride in professionalism while following Hawthornes code of conduct.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Prefer to have one of the following
- Five (5) years of experience in the repair of Caterpillar products.
- Successful completion of Level One Technician program
- Possess basic computer knowledge and ability to use service software required in position.
- Must have valid Driver’s License with a good record.
- Field Requirements: Valid / Maintained type Hawaii Type IV driver’s license.
- CDL preferred but not required.
- Furnish all hand tools required to repair, test and diagnose hydraulic, air, power train, electrical and electronic systems on Caterpillar equipment.
- Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
TESTING REQUIREMENTS: Applicants may be required to pass a written and/or oral examination before being considered for employment in this position.
- Walking and moving about on foot often through uneven terrain.
- Hands/arms operating equipment, hand and power tools.
- Lifting: Up to 50 lbs. daily, frequent exertion. Raises or lowers miscellaneous equipment parts and tools.
- Handling: Works with hands.
- Reaching: Extends hands and arms in any direction.
- Standing: Remains in standing position if required for certain repair or maintenance work.
- Climbing: In and out of equipment.
- Vision: Read work tickets, parts and service books and operate heavy equipment.
- Talking: Communications by radio, phone, in writing, and in person.
- Sitting: Sits in equipment and in vehicles.
- Stooping: Bends body downward and forward by bending at knees or waist.
- Hearing: Hears well enough to discern mechanical problems for safety in and around shop and construction sites and to receive communication by radio, phone and in person.
- Laying: Lies in prone position under vehicles and equipment.
PHYSICAL STRENGTH: Lifting: Up to 50 lbs. daily, frequent exertion. Repetitive from # 3 above
- Noise: Works in conditions with constant or intermittent noise.
- Temperatures/Weather: Works in the field, outside with variations of temperature and weather.
- Exposure: Foul odors, fumes and harsh substances.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Reasonable accommodations for essential functions of the position will be considered.