We are currently offering up to a $5,000 sign-on bonus for experienced Heavy Equipment Field Technician new hires.
Carter Machinery Company, the authorized Caterpillar dealer for Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and Washington D.C., is hiring Field Service Technicians for Heavy Equipment operations at our Salem, Virginia corporate headquarters. We service the full Caterpillar product line, including earthmoving equipment, mining, forestry and more. Our skilled field technicians visit customer job sites to diagnose problems and perform mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and powertrain repairs, depending on their specific area of expertise. Carter offers multiple shift opportunities (1st, 2nd and weekend), including some 3-day/week and 4-day/week options. For our field openings, we seek candidates with previous hands-on technician experience in the area you are applying. Previous Caterpillar related heavy equipment experience, military diesel exposure, completion of a diesel school program or completion of a mechanical VoTech program in a related field, such as automotive, electrical, or HVAC are all great skill sets for careers in our industry.
Requirements for our Field Service Technician positions include:
- Self-starter able to work with limited supervision.
- Strong mechanical aptitude, troubleshooting skills, and a desire to learn.
- Proficient with computers, including Microsoft Office products and able to learn/use service software. Able to complete service reports and provide pertinent details for work orders.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Able to read and understand operating manuals.
- Candidates should possess an excellent driving record, and valid Commercial Driver’s License, or the ability to obtain a CDL. Must be able to become DOT certified with DOT Medical Card.
- Able to work overtime as required by job and customer demand.
Physical requirements must be met for the Field Service Technician jobs, including the ability to lift, carry and maneuver items up to 70 pounds, including bulky objects. These positions require repeated reaching, standing, stooping, kneeling, bending and climbing beside, onto, and under a variety of heavy equipment.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits:
- Health, dental and vision insurance.
- Paid time off.
- Multiple Shift options at many locations.
- 401(k), $0.75 to $1.25 match up to 6%.
- Life and disability insurance.
- In-house training instructors/programs.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Employee referral bonus program.
- Discounts: cellular phone service, computers, tooling, cars and trucks.
Carter Machinery Co. Inc. is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals – including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities, or any other characteristic protected by law – are encouraged to apply.
Carter Machinery is a drug-free workplace.
*Special rules and restrictions may apply to sign-on bonus eligibility for rehires.