Carter Machinery Company, the authorized Caterpillar dealer serving Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and Washington D.C. is hiring an Engineering Intern in Salem, Virginia at our corporate headquarters. In partnership with Virginia Tech’s Mining and Minerals Engineering Program we are seeking candidates that are eager to build upon their classroom education with practical experience in the Quarry and Aggregate environments, as well as Waste Handling. They will leverage various data & intelligence platforms (VantagePoint, MineStar) to offer recommendations to our in-territory customers currently using these tools or interested. They will also help Carter learn how to leverage this information as a competitive advantage to competitors' machines.
Requirements for the Engineering intern position are:
- Self-starter able to work with limited supervision.
- Strong mechanical and electrical aptitude required.
- Work directly with customers and Digital Specialists to deploy, and drive change using tools like VantagePoint and Mine Star.
- Target customers will be Waste, Aggregates and Mining.
- Develop projects with Digital Specialists, to drive value of digital services and customer satisfaction of products.
- Using engineering background, make suggestions for improvement and utilize data to prove those recommendations.
- Goal to drive and manage efficiency recommendations to help customers realize where their opportunities are with reality numbers and potential dollars to be gained.
- Submit and present report of findings to Customer, Tada, Carter and VT at end of summer.
- Help customers recognize the opportunities for operations improvements through the implementation of data analytics and machine technologies.
- Monitor data accuracy with customers.
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining organized and detailed documentation.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Strong commitment to teamwork.
- Clean driving record and a valid driver's license required.
Must meet physical requirements for the job, including the ability sit or stand for prolonged periods of time. Able to lift, carry and maneuver items up to 20 pounds in weight. This position may require reaching, standing, stooping, kneeling, bending and climbing beside, onto and under a variety of heavy equipment.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Additional duties may be assigned.
Carter Machinery Co. Inc. is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals – including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities, or any other characteristic protected by law – are encouraged to apply.
Carter Machinery is a drug-free workplace.
1 year: Experience with Data or Quarry Applications a plus
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities