Carter Machinery Company, the authorized Caterpillar dealer for Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and Washington D.C., is hiring Apprentice Marine Shop and Field Technicians in Chesapeake, Virginia. The Apprentice Marine Shop & Field Technician is provided training and development to accurately troubleshoot and diagnose and perform standard mechanical repairs and complete overhauls on marine engines and propulsion systems. At the end of the 15 month program, the Apprentice is expected to understand electrical, marine engines and propulsion systems fundamentals and be fully accredited under the Department of Labor Apprenticeship. Seeking candidates have completed a post-secondary diesel engine or related program, or have two years of mechanical job experience. A high school diploma or GED is required and military equipment experience a plus.
Requirements for the Apprentice Marine Shop & Field Technician include:
- Self-starter able to work with limited supervision and meet deadlines.
- Strong mechanical aptitude required.
- Candidate should possess and excellent driving record.
- Excellent customer satisfaction skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment required.
- Proficient in the use of a computer, Microsoft Office products and service software required in position; able to complete service reports and provide pertinent details for work orders.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; able to write service reports that accurately document diagnosis and repairs performed. Must prepare required documentation including work orders, parts lists, and time cards in an accurate and timely manner.
- Able to read and understand operating manuals.
- Must be self-directed, organized, able to interact with coworkers, and work as an integral part of a team.
- Must have the ability to prioritize workload while providing excellent customer service.
- Must be able to work all shifts and overtime as needed to meet customer needs.
- Promote a positive customer experience.
- Uphold the Core Values of Integrity, Commitment, Excellence and Teamwork by embracing The Carter Way.
Physical requirements for the Apprentice Marine Shop & Field Technician must be met, including the ability to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits:
- Health, dental and vision insurance.
- Paid time off.
- Multiple Shift options at many locations.
- 401(k), $0.75 to $1.25 match up to 6%.
- Life and disability insurance.
- In-house training instructors/programs.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Employee referral bonus program.
- Discounts: cellular phone service, computers, tooling, cars and trucks.
Carter Machinery Co. Inc. is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals – including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities, or any other characteristic protected by law – are encouraged to apply.