Carter Machinery Company, the authorized Caterpillar dealer serving Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and Washington D.C. is hiring an Application Engineer for our Power Systems Division. The PSD Application Engineer is responsible for assisting consulting engineers and contractors in designing complex power system facilities and equipment, including Power quality equipment. This position works under direction of a Senior Application Engineer in Diesel and Gas fueled electric power systems for emergency and prime power application, including switchgear, UPS, CHP, and other auxiliary systems. In addition, this role assesses power needs to ensure electrical loading and sizing parameters are accurately defined. This individual performs calculations for sizing generators, UPS devices, circuit breakers, cables and disconnects. Seeking candidates with a minimum of 10 years’ experience in electrical power systems. Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical and/or Electrical Engineering preferred.
Requirements for the Application Engineer position include:
- Self-starter able to work with limited supervision; capable of developing objectives, setting priorities, and implementing ideas in a timely manner.
- Ability to articulate technology and product positioning to both business and technical users.
- Must maintain a good level of product knowledge and market trends.
- Able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Able to perform calculations for sizing of circuit breakers, wires and disconnects.
- Must be able to prepare and read drawings to be used in construction and equipment installation.
- Able to write and modify specifications; read and interpret contract documents.
- Proven ability to understand, interpret and meet complex customer needs through the preparation of proposal and other documentation.
- Able to train new Engineers effectively.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Willing to travel and work hours required by the job.
Physical requirements must be met for the Application Engineer job, including the ability sit or stand for prolonged periods of time. Able to lift, carry and maneuver items up to 20 pounds in weight. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Additional duties may be assigned.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits:
- Health, dental and vision insurance.
- Paid time off.
- 401(k), $0.75 to $1.25 match up to 6%.
- Life and disability insurance.
- In-house training instructors/programs.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Employee referral bonus program.
- Discounts: cellular phone service, computers, tooling, cars and trucks.
Carter Machinery Co. Inc. is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals – including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities, or any other characteristic protected by law – are encouraged to apply.
Carter Machinery is a drug-free workplace.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities