DEFINITION: In accordance with management directives this position calls on and works closely with consulting engineers/owners in the design/planning stage to position and write favorable product specifications for Caterpillar power generation systems and our allied manufacturers. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to identify, develop, and manage strategic technical relationships within the consultant end user arena.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: This position mandates that the employee be able to perform all of the following functions:
- Industry knowledge and experience with generator systems, automatic transfer switches, switchgear, and uninterruptible power systems.
- Review project designs and recommend appropriate Caterpillar and allied equipment product solutions.
- Provide quality technical support to necessary to establish long-term internal and external customer relationships.
- Accurately respond to questions and assist customers with product features, systems features, and lifecycle costs analysis.
- Preparing and conducting technical/product presentations and demonstrations.
- Sharing ideas and customer needs throughout all phases of product life cycle (plan, design, acquisition, installation, and service)
- Compile tools, databases and means to increase efficiency and speed of response to inquiries. This could include electronic resources and also include utilizing CAT or 3rd party equipment representatives to participate and present to expedite a response.
- Attend periodic CAT dealer engineering influencer meetings and conference calls and Caterpillar training or meetings.
- Develop Maintain quality industry relationships in local industry associations and trade shows (IEEE, EGSA, ASHRAE, Electric League, Hospital Society of Engineers)
- Travel as required to customer owner facilities;
- ... Perform other functions as assigned.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES: This position may perform any combination of the following duties: Call on engineering firms and end use customers on a continuous basis for EPG stand-by, prime and low energy projects for the entire Cleveland Brothers assigned Caterpillar territory. Arrange detailed training sessions with consulting engineers and end users. This training could occur in a lunch and learn venue or be as firm and specific with continuous education credits. Develop and assist consultants writing electrical system specifications, defining of the Caterpillar and Allied equipment scope of abilities, costs estimates (life cycle), and extended warranties. Development of budgetary proposals for internal and external customers. Compile tools (sizing, starting, and maintenance), databases and means to increase efficiency and speed of response to inquiries. Stay abreast of new developments of existing technology and include new technology as it is introduced in the market to add value to proposals. Work with the Power Systems environmental emissions champion to provide emissions compliance support to engineering firms, end users as well as all CB Power Systems market groups, EPG, Petroleum, Industrial, Marine and Rail.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
The candidate will have comprehensive knowledge of electrical engineering design codes and installation codes for generator systems, combined heat power systems, low energy btu applications, bio-mass applications, switch gear, automatic transfer switches, and uninterruptible power supplies.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to indentify, develop, and manage strategic technical relationships and opportunities within specifying technical electrical systems and solutions.
The candidate will exhibit rigorous strategic thinking around building such relationships, but with clear execution strength and technical skills. The candidate must be an aggressive self-starter, and possess the organizational skills to leverage resources from within the organization as needed.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 5+ years of electrical engineering design experience with a focus on generator, combined heat power, low energy systems, bio-mass and switch gear systems. The candidate must have the ability to read electrical schematics and drawings.
- Good judgment and quick, comprehensive decision-making ability
- Strong organizational, time management, problem solving and multitasking skills
- Ability to work as part of a team with minimal supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- PC familiarity and practical experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Willing to travel within our territory up to 25% of the time.
- BS Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.